Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D'Amico[_2_] Danny D'Amico[_2_] is offline

Default How does the typical mains power connect in the USA anyway?

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 05:15:29 -0800, wrote:

Which one you call A and which B is arbitrary. What matters
is that you wind up with the phases alternating on the breaker
slots, vertically. That way with a double pole breaker, you
get 240V. If they didn't alternate, you'd get 0v.

I'm ok with that.

It was interesting to see the "C" shaped flat metal plates
under each of the breakers in my panel.

That shows that my panel is a row of AA, then a row of BB,
then a row of AA, and BB, etc.

Thanks to you guys, I can *look* at a panel and tell something
about it now. That feels good.

(I hate not knowing stuff.)