Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Alarm system transformer + power supply (would both go bad at once?)

On Monday, November 25, 2013 11:29:15 AM UTC-5, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 05:34:00 -0800, wrote:

If you can verify that the board has proper power on it from

a battery and it's still not working, I'd say it's time to buy

a new panel. You can get them for $150 or so.

That's probably what I'm going to have to do.

Meanwhile, ELK called me back and explained the "limited" part

of the "lifetime warranty" on the AC transformer. The service

technician said mine has a PTC fuse in the secondary.

He said ELK will replace it for free as long as it was used

within the specifications of the device, e.g., in an approved

alarm system (which it was).

They told me I could send it to them, or, I could contact these

local "trade distributors" to see if they would work with a

homeowner:

1. Home Tech Solution 408-257-4406

2. Custom Electronics Supply 408-452-8300

3.
http://smarthome.com 800-762-7846

So, at the very least, I'll get the transformer replaced,

under warranty, by one of those four. Also, I'll ask all of

them how much they sell the board I need.

BTW, must I get the exact same board?

Or can *any* alarm system board suffice?

I would not replace just the board, unless you can find
the exact replacement at a good price. I would replace the
alarm panel.