Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Coroded Electrical Contacts Restore

Ordinary spiraled spring-type replacement contacts are available from variou
suppliers. Original contacts are generally made from steel, then plated with
copper and nickel or possibly a chrome-like plating.

Many repairs require disassembly as leaking chemcas can wick into power
leads, which will often result in a chronic corrosion problem, even if the
contacts are cleaned, or the power leads might simply continue to rot.

If corroded contacts can't be thoroughly cleaned or are too far gone,
fabricating new contacts from nickel may be a worthwhile, more permanent
repair.
Nickel (round) wire is available a german silver wire for making jewelry,
and flat nickel available in strips or coils/rollls for strapping
rechargeable battery cells together to make battery packs.

Nickel easily accepts solder allowing power leads to be attached.

--
Cheers,
WB

"OldGuy" wrote in message
Electronic flash has corroded electrical contacts. Duracell AA batteries
leaked. The contacts are molded into a plastic holder and cannot be
easily removed. I have cleaned the metal contacts using a diamond tip. I
did this a few months ago and the contacts re-corroded. Again cleaned but
what can I do to retard corrosion? Some in place coating or plating?