Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How does the typical mains power connect in the USA anyway?

On Monday, November 25, 2013 2:50:25 AM UTC-5, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 23:11:08 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:

The example given in your .png showed AB....AB on the left,

and BA....BA on the right. This is a lay-out that makes zero

sense and would require some goofy bus work to accomplish.

I wish whoever kept posting that PDF would have known that

and not posted it then, because that's what we were going on.

So, the top two bus tabs, inline from left to right are phase A.

The next row down will be phase B, inline from left to right.

Makes sense.

A 2-pole breaker will take up two spaces, top

to bottom and will give you both an A and a B phase.

I like that we can *see* that, given there are two hots coming

out of the 240V breaker, so, it *must* be phase A & B.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5484/1...a8b636fc_o.gif

Meaning that if you where to have black and red wires denoting

phasing, the black would go on A, and the red would go on B.

This is an interesting observation.

Black is always A, Red is always B

Ah. This is news to me. So, all reds, in the breaker panel, would

be B then. But, isn't this red wire on A?

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3696/1...38f77b97_o.gif

Here's a further-out view of that same breaker:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3794/1...cfcb99fb_o.gif

Since the red is on top, isn't that phase A (and not phase B)?

Which one you call A and which B is arbitrary. What matters
is that you wind up with the phases alternating on the breaker
slots, vertically. That way with a double pole breaker, you
get 240V. If they didn't alternate, you'd get 0v.