Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default Looking for remote wall switch

On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 15:58:29 -0600, amdx wrote:

On 11/24/2013 1:52 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 13:33:02 -0600, amdx wrote:

I want the new switch and
it's remote to work as a *THREE way switch, meaning, I can turn the
light on or off from the other switch no matter what position the first
is in. Also, I just recalled this this already is a three way circuit,
one switch is hidden behind the refrigerator.

Z-wave 3 way switch
http://www.smarthome.com/59464/GE-45614-Z-Wave-3-Way-On-Off-Kit/p.aspx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vguVa58PGI

Same warning, "The device controlled by this Z-Wave switch must not
exceed 600 watts (Incandescent); 15 Amps, 1800W (Resistive);
or ½ HP (Motor)."
I found lots of remote controls (tv type) but not a normal wall mount
flip switch.

Did you look at the above Smarthome URL? It's a wall mount switch.
All Z-wave saves you in this case is having to run an extra wire
between switches to make it 3-way.

I'm using a CFL, until I change it.
Mikek

It would be VERY helpful if you would supply a list of requirements
and constraints for your project. I didn't see any mention of power
limitations any of your previous postings. Note that if your load has
PF correction and the inrush current is under 15A, then you can
consider the load resistive.

However, if power, reactive loads, or position of the moon are
potential problems, I suggest isolating the device with a relay, also
known in electro-jargon as a contactor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactor
http://www.grainger.com/category/starters-and-contactors/electrical/ecatalog/N-8f4

There are also alternatives. You can achieve something similar to a 3
way switch using a latching contactor. A latching contactor has two
coils and the usual armature controlled contacts. The armature is
latched into either position with some mechanical derrangement, or
with magnets. Apply power to one coil, and it goes one way. Apply
power to the other coil, and it goes the other way.

Controlling a latching relay lighting system is done with momentary
push buttons, not conventional light switches. Each station will have
two push buttons (on and off). What's nice is setup is that you can
have more than 2 stations to control the lights. As a bonus, the
latching contactor does not suck power when energized, thus doing your
part to save electricity.

Here's typical data sheet for a 3 pole 30A magnetic latching
contactor:
http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12768/229240/6890817/6890957/229355/Introduction.html

A friend (RIP) wired his entire house with such a setup. 4 position
wall plates, fitted with 8 momentary push buttons, and located in the
usual light switch positions. Some were wired, while others were
wireless. Most of the loads were run by latching contactors in the
basement. No problems with the county code cops. I may have photos
(somewhere) if you're interested.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D