RonB

Default Xtra tall bookcases - how?

Charlie:
Think about how you will install and trim the boxes. You can probably make
up most of the 1" with the way you construct:

1) You are going to have to be short of 9" just to stand the cases up.

2) If you put your bottom shelf up about 6" - 8" off of the floor, this will
allow you to set the "boxes" on a 2x platform and trim up to from the floor
to a location on the front of the hardwood box. This trim might consist of
several pieces that suggest base trim and some detail. This will give the
illusion the bookcases extend all the way from the floor.

3) Likewise you can leave space between the top of the box and ceiling to
fill and trim with appropriate mouldings. This will also keep you from
dinging up the ceiling when you set them up. As a previous post suggested,
you cannot expect the ceiling to be flat. Your top layer of moulding will
have to be a little flexible to make for up some of the waves you don't
notice now.

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Patrick Conroy asks:

Thinking about doing floor-ceiling bookcases in my study. Ceiling is 9'

in
there.

In another room I'm doing base cabinets with the bookcase on top of

them -
to overcome limitations of a 8' sheet of hardwood plywood.

Just wondering - if I want to skip the base cabinet approach - and make a

9'
tall bookcase, what are some of the techniques involved? How do you folks
get 9' of sides out of a 8' hunk o' plywood?

I've considering asking the same dude that auctioned off the Time Machine

see if he has a plywood stretching machine. Or warping the space time
continuum. In the meantime, I thought I'd ask the wreck.

Look for some place that sells 9' plywood. It's available, usually fairly
easily found if you check local lumber dealers, plywood dealers, but don't
expect to find any at HD or Lowe's.

Failing that, build it 8' tall in 2 sections, with a 1' tall center

section
with, maybe, a drawer or 2 in it. Might also be a bottom section.

Charlie Self
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended

from
man."
H. L. Mencken