Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
dave dave is offline

Default Looking for remote wall switch

On 11/24/2013 11:47 AM, mike wrote:
On 11/24/2013 11:33 AM, amdx wrote:
On 11/24/2013 11:31 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 07:46:51 -0600, amdx w

I'm looking for a switch almost like the one in the URL below.

http://tinyurl.com/n5luoq3

This one has two problems,
It is made for incandescent bulbs only,
I need one that will work with CFL's.
I also need one that works just like an ordinary
wired two way switch. I don't see if this does that or not.

I would prefer to have this style flip switch,
but could put up with swmbo until she gets used to a
different style.

How about this? The normal toggle style is available, too.

http://www.insteon.com/2477s-switchlinc-dual-band.html

I need to correct a couple errors I made. I want the new switch and
it's remote to work as a *THREE way switch, meaning, I can turn the
light on or off from the other switch no matter what position the first
is in. Also, I just recalled this this already is a three way circuit,
one switch is hidden behind the refrigerator.
In all my searches, one thing that never seems to be explained clearly,
will the switch work in a three way circuit? I have also seen that some
work with fluorescent lights, but CFL's are not listed. Made me realize,
ya, there's a difference.

After reading your link, I'm still undecided.

Thanks, Mikek

* previously I said Two way.

3-ways are always an issue because of the wiring required.

There's a thing for X10 that's called stick a switch.
Model is SS13A.
It's a switch plate that you just glue anywhere.
has three on/off switches and a dimmer switch.
You can stick as many as you want anywhere you want.
Works with the wireless transceiver module to access
three wired X10 modules in the house. I've never used it.
I just have HR-12A remotes scattered around the house.

There are similar keyfob transmitters that do the same thing
for x10.

And there are many different remote switches that don't use X10.
I have a sack of remote systems designed for ceiling fans.

If you're gonna buy a whole new set of stuff, X10 is pretty
outdated. Might be better of with a more modern technology.

They sell X-10 at Beast Buy don't they?