Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 13:22:22 -0600, Richard
wrote:

On 11/24/2013 12:45 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 00:20:47 -0600,
wrote:

On 11/24/2013 12:00 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 23:33:15 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Ayup...aerospace requires 50 millions or half 10ths all the time.

Which is damned hard to do with machines that hold +/- 2 tenths

One might think it is impossible to do with repeatability and assurance.

Hardly impossible. It happens many thousands..hundreds of thousands
of parts a day.

So - I am curious - what is it that aerospace requires that is 50
"millions"? I worked in that space for a while and I never saw any
tolerances like that - but that does not say much. I believe that even the
space shuttle does not demand tolerances that close - but I really do not
know.

Jet engine parts, microwave wave guides, thousands of things. Most of
which I was not cleared to know what they were when I ran into them..
An awful lot of optical stuff is that or more.

Shrug. And a lot of that stuff I figured would be good at
+0/- .001...but..the specs...

As the truism goes...the more zeros you add to the right of the
decimal point...you multiply the cost by a factor of 5-10

Half a thou? (NOBODY says 50 millionths!)

Half a thou isnt 50 millionths. Its only 5 tenths.
Half a tenth..is 50 millionths.

Half a TENTH.
I woke up in the middle of the night and realized I wrote that wrong.

(Grin)

__
butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer,
cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
- Heinlein

---