Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

jim fired this volley in
:

People have been making things flat or round to that level of
precision for ages.

Yup... I can make a piece of glass flat to about three angstroms by hand.

But your comments to the negative don't bear on the discussion. The
discussion never was "how many of 'us' could do it"; But is it a
realizable and realistic degree of precision?

Yes, it is... even with the sort of equipment I use (albeit newer and in
better condition).

I'm not working with a table-top Tormach, and do this professionally.
But even a lot of amateurs have older high-end industrial equipment. It
sells for scrap value, if one is willing to do the work to rescue it and
upgrade the electronics.

I just had an 'amateur/recreational' machinist friend buy a full-up Fanuc
slant-bed turning center with 4th axis, 12' bar feeder, and live tooling
(+ATC)... With a little TLC and good insert tooling, that machine will do
sub-tenths work -- in his garage!

Lloyd

Lloyd