Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

jim fired this volley in news:FpGdnZc-
:

How many people reading this have ever done any sort
of work close to that precision?

With a short, stiff cutter and slow feeds, I can work to half a tenth all
day. Certainly, that's not 10 micro-inches, but I can buy $7.00 bearings
from McMaster that meet that spec.

I can't, because of the age and condition of my machines. But my CAD and
CAM work to those tolerances and below.

Somebody said in this thread that some CAD worked to an internal
precision of 0.0001"... hell... my cheapest CAM software works to seven
digits! G

Ten micro-inches is not an amazing feat with new (but fairly specialized)
equipment.

Lloyd