Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How does the typical mains power connect in the USA anyway?

On Sunday, November 24, 2013 1:05:43 AM UTC-5, nestork wrote:
I don't think it really matters whether we're calling the 120 VAC lines

coming into our house "single phase power" or two separate phases. Or,

precisely what to call it certainly doesn't warrant the amount of time

being spent arguing over what to call it.

It does warrant a response when you have some people here saying that
anyone that says the you have two legs, two phases, 180 deg
out of phase, "know very little or just enough to confuse themselves".
And the village idiot questioning my degree in electrical engineering.
I take offense to that. I've provided a link to an IEEE peer reviewed
paper presented at a conference of power engineers.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/artic...number=4520128

"Which now brings into focus the reality that standard 120/240 secondary systems are not single phase line to ground systems, instead they are three wire systems with two phases and one ground wires. Further, the standard 120/240 secondary is different from the two phase primary system in that the secondary phases are separated by 180 degrees instead of three phases separated by 120 degrees. "

That's from an unimpeachable source, the IEEE. I've also provided links to eqpt
manufacturers, etc.

The other side, nothing but flapping gums.

What matters is that we understand how the wiring in our houses

(including the electrical panel) works, and I don't think that part was

ever in question.

That is correct. But when you start baseless personal attacks and are
incapable of even defining the word "phase", then what do you expect?