Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default CAD for simple 3-D metal & wood projects?

On 11/24/2013 12:15 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 23:47:12 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
The back of the cabinets have face frames also. The back face frames
however are assembled with lap joints that join with the rabbets on the
inside edges. The center back stiles are part of the back face frame
and it too has rabbets. The rabbets are 1/2" deep and 1/2" wide. The
back panels fit in to the rabbets from the back side.

No need to send me a Sketchup file, I understand perfectly. But, your
explanation leads me to a few more questions. Are the back face frames
for support, visualization, a combination of both or maybe something
else?

The back frames are for all of the above. They make the piece into more
of a piece of furniture than simply a cabinet with a face frame, which
is how a lot of furniture is built. Having a back face frames gives the
sides symmetry and allows me to add other touches should I need to
decorate the sides more. And they add a lot of support and strength to
the backs of the cabinet. If there is a wide adjustable shelf the back
center stiles along with the front center stiles give me an additional
spot to add adjustable support pins. Marys bookcases are approximately
10' wide total. IIRC the center section is about 48" wide and the tall
outer cases are 36" wide. The goal with Mary's bookcases was to build
cases that she could load up with books and not see any sag in the
shelves. Mission accomplished.

And, how are you fastening the back panels? If the back face frames
are 3/4" initially, removing a rabbet of 1/2" leaves only 1/4". I'm
guessing some type of glazier points or something similar?

The back face frame rabbets are actually 1/4" deep not 1/2" as I
misstated above. They are 1/2" wide. And the back face frames like the
front face frames receive the top, side, and bottom panels with 1/4"
deep by 3/4" wide dado's and grooves. I typically use a 5/8" inch #6
pan head screw to attach the backs for easily removal. Sometimes a
mirror is call for instead of a solid panel.

Bottom and top panels fit into dado's at the bottom and top of the side
panels.

Dry fit prior to gluing the cabinets will stand up on their own.

Thanks.