Posted to uk.d-i-y
misterroy misterroy is offline

Default Fridge freezer, freezer working, but fridge not

On Sunday, November 24, 2013 9:19:30 AM UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
Colin Stamp wrote in

:

On 23/11/2013 19:01, misterroy wrote:

Hi I have a hotpoint fridge freezer, the freezer is working fine, but

the fridge is not getting as cold as t should. The freezer door was

not shut properly last week. I closed it and thought nothing of it.

The fridge started not getting cold. Yesterday I checked the rubber

drain thing at the bach, there was no gunk on it. Inside the freezer

section there are what look like vents, they were frosted over. I

used a hair dryer and the frost I could see melted quickly, 3-4 mins.

I thought I had fixed it, but no the fridge section is still warm

today. It is a Hotpoint ff4dx uk.

ta

Despite being frost free, it's bunged up with frost, behind the back

panel where you can't see it. It could be because the defrost system

isn't working or, given the door being left open, it's just

overwhelmed.

To defrost it, you'll need to empty the freezer, unplug it and take

out the back panel, disconnecting any fan wiring etc. Then you should

be able to see the evaporator which will no-doubt look like a mass of

frost.

When you hair-dryer it, bung up the drain hole first so you don't get

too much water in the tray over the compressor. Check the tray

afterwards and get out as much water as you can. Also, make sure you

don't get it too hot or you'll trip the thermal fuse.

Cheers,

Colin.

They usually have heater that comes on at a pre-set interval to defrost

the chiller. By leaving the door open it will have created more frost

than this little heater can cope with. As others have said - do a

complete defrost. The heater timer can fail - but I suspect that due to

the frost only being slightly melted it will have formed a block of ice.

--

DerbyBorn

Hi, I took the panel off the back of the freezer, and it was frozen up inside. Borrowed the hairdryer and now the milk is now lovely and cold.
Thanks all