Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default Follow-up on eye exercises

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 02:47:05 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

"Bob F" wrote:
Moe DeLoughan wrote:
Now THAT would help a lot of people.

It would not, because it is bull****. From Quackwatch:

Since ancient times, many people have held the mistaken belief that
poor eyesight can be cured by special eye exercises.........

Too bad. Eye exercises worked for me. I haven't needed glasses for 30 years,
other than occasional reading glasses the last few years for small print.

I never heard of eye exercises, yet I was trying it myself at times. I used
one eye at a time. I could see clearer when I put glasses back on. I always
found once I put my glasses on in the morning, I had to keep them on all
day. Glasses make the eyes lazy.

Greg

An interesting issue. Do glasses make the eyes "lazy" or is something
else going on here? Or some combination. One theory I have is that
the brain is able to correct for *some* types of optical distortion,
such as a certain degree of astigmatism. Like others, I have noticed
that the more I wear my glasses the more I seem to need them but
partly because the more I get used to seeing *really clearly* the less
satisfied I am with the "ok but not really clear" vision I get without
the glasses. Getting back to my early point about the brain being
able to correct some defects... for the brain to do this it needs to
have some consistency is the "picture" being sent to it from the eye.
If you NEVER wear glasses then the brain gets used all the time to
recognize the "bad patterns" and correct what it can and can get
pretty good at it. Just like if you have one eye good for near vision
and one eye good for far vision the brain works the two of them
together seamlessly so you don't even consciously realize that as
things get farther away the "picture" from one eye is getting used
less and less and that picture from the other eye more and more. So
the more you use glasses, the less your brain "trains" to correct the
defects and it gets less and less able to do so. So when you Don't
put your glasses on first thing in the morning your brain gets started
right way trying to "fix" things. If you put your glasses on right
away you are telling your brain "don't fix things today" and you wind
up needing the glasses all day. All this is based on the "defects"
being relatively modest. I don't think anyone who needs a high
diopter correction, or who has bad astigmatism is likely to be able to
"train their brain" to overcome it.

That's my wacko theory.