Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D'Amico[_2_] Danny D'Amico[_2_] is offline

Default How does the typical mains power connect in the USA anyway?

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 10:02:08 +1100, John G wrote:

Here are six distribution wires, by the way ...
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7456/1...349dd5b6_o.gif

Notice each pair of your 6 wires is connected at the insulator so
although there are 6 WIRES ther are only 3 THREE conductors

Please before you demonstrate your ignorance and confuse people who
admit they dont know, go back to shcool. :-?

I *knew* they were all hot wires! You have to notice the smiley sign at
the end the sentence.

I've previously said that there is three phase (120 degrees out of phase)
transmission and distribution, so, it's clear that I knew they were hots.

I happened to go to lunch with friends in San Jose and I saw the 6 wires,
and I thought of this discussion, so I snapped a picture of the 6 wires,
to show the team.

I do agree with you wholeheartedly. The GROUND is the conductor back to
the power plant (theoretically anyway). Clearly the wires I snapped are
three phase wires, and clearly the six wires are all are hot.

The insulators were gorgeous but the distant picture cropped doesn't
show how beautifully they shone with iridescent greenishblue colors.