Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Coroded Electrical Contacts Restore

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 11:44:58 -0600, Nightcrawler®
wrote:

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message ...

I would think that it would insulate the cell from the contact.

Nope. As long as the wax or plastic coating is sufficiently soft, the
clamping pressure of the battery clamps or screws will push the
coating out of the way and provide a good connection. If the coating
were something quite hard, it might be a different story, but not with
a soft coating. I just notice the that the CRC data sheet shows:
"Provides a lead-free soft protective coating." Note the "soft".

Odd. Usually the cleaning is done, the termination is made, then the
protective coating is applied.

Agreed and my apologies for the topic drift. The original question
was about AA batteries in an electronic flash. The question by "Old
Guy" was if an automotive battery terminal protector was suitable. My
best guess(tm) is maybe. I answered without making any distinction
between the two questions.

Apply after connection is the recommended method and the way it's
commonly done with automobile batteries. One does not want any extra
glop between the lead battery post and lead battery terminal. I have
one of those wire brush battery post/terminal cleaning tools for the
purpose.

However, I have done it the wrong way (when I was in a hurry, not
paying attention, distracted, clueless or all the aforementioned)
without ill effects. It worked because before clamping down on the
terminal locking nut, I rotated the terminal on the battery post back
and forth a few times to clean out the red stuff. It worked and no
problems.

However, the OP was asking about AA batteries in an electronic flash,
which doesn't have enough clamping pressure to clean out the wax or
plastic coating at the points of contact. Try to use automobile type
battery terminal protector on a AA spring loaded battery contact, and
there *MAY* be a problem, especially if a thick layer is applied.

I've successfully used grease and wax (furniture polish) to "protect"
battery contacts, mostly in flashlights. If I get a lousy contact, I
just spin the battery in the flashlight or holder. The flashlight
works until the grease or wax creeps into the connection again. I use
white lithium grease mostly because I have a large supply. Anything
that doesn't evaporate should work.

However, if the idea is to inhibit corrosion without coating the
terminals, I again suggest electroless tin to protect the exposed
copper.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D