Posted to alt.home.repair
Nightcrawler® Nightcrawler® is offline

Default Wire connection torquing ?

"bud--" wrote in message eb.com...
On 11/22/2013 10:15 PM, Nightcrawler® wrote:

Lugs are not structural and the lug is not steel. The handbook torque values are likely way too high.

The handbook is for nuts and/or bolts.

That is a good source, but the torque recommended by the manufacturer of the lug should be used.

Um, the term ubiquitous was used. Do you know what that word means in the
context used?

What a great idea. You start with an engineered lug where expansion rates are critical for a reliable connection, and replace the
screw from elsewhere. Steel would be a particularly bad idea.
Did you install the lug that failed for Danny?

Oh, you so funny. The replacement was from an engineered lug. It is just
a bit longer.

You shouldn't drive the screw past the threads if you are using a wire size within the rated (minimum size) capacity of the lug.

You would be surprised. Not all wire is equal. Locomotive cable compresses
more readily than standard copper wire. When using crimp terminals we often
soldered them afterwards. The fine strands have a way of working loose, even
after max compression with a hydraulic crimper. Not all of the terminations
I had to make were static. Vibration and movement are present. My work was
not residential, it was industrial. Regardless, I still had lugs bottom out
using a conductor well within the lug's rating. Do not approach me as if I
have minimal experience with such things, it is rather arrogant of you.