Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Coroded Electrical Contacts Restore

On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 09:45:19 -0800, OldGuy wrote:

They have an anti-corrosion spray for car battery terminals. Clean
the terminals via what is easiest, spray some of the anti-corrosion
on some q-tips and rub on contacts.

If possible remove all pits from contacts since this tends to enhance
corrosion regardless of treatment. Filling and shaping with solder
might be an option if damage to other parts of the device will not
occur. Tricky, so this might not be an option.

What is in that spray and how does it work?
I have some that I use on car batteries.

Wax or plastic coating, dissolved in various organic solvents.

For example, CRC "battery terminal protector" spray.
http://crcindustries.com/auto/?s=05046
http://www.crcindustries.com/faxdocs/msds/5046.pdf
63.5% of the contents are organic solvents and propellent:
CAS number Chemical name Common name and synonyms %
68476-86-8 Liquefied Petroleum Gas 20 - 30
64742-49-0 Naphtha (petroleum), Hydrotreated Light 20 - 30
589-34-4 3-Methylhexane 10 - 20
142-82-5 n-Heptane 10 - 20
8009-03-8 Petrolatum 10 - 20
591-76-4 2-Methylhexane 5 - 10
108-87-2 Methylcyclohexane 5 - 10
64741-88-4 Distillates (petroleum),
Solvent-refined Heavy Paraffinic 1 - 3
1330-20-7 Xylene 1 - 3
100-41-4 Ethylbenzene 1
110-54-3 n-Hexane 1
The rest is probably some form of acrylic plastic or wax, dissolved in
the above solvents, which coats the terminals. Anything that resists
water, gasoline, grease, oil, and battery acid attack, will work. Add
some red dye so it can be easily seen. The solvents are needed to
clean the terminals, remove engine grease, and help the plastic or wax
to stick to the battery terminals.

I would think that it would insulate the cell from the contact.

Nope. As long as the wax or plastic coating is sufficiently soft, the
clamping pressure of the battery clamps or screws will push the
coating out of the way and provide a good connection. If the coating
were something quite hard, it might be a different story, but not with
a soft coating. I just notice the that the CRC data sheet shows:
"Provides a lead-free soft protective coating." Note the "soft".

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D