Posted to rec.woodworking
Brewster Brewster is offline

Default 12 volt lithium battery drill/impact driver- recommendations?

On 11/18/13 8:01 AM, Leon wrote:
On 11/18/2013 8:49 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 07:44:44 -0600, Leon wrote:
You mention that your UPS can be configured to power down if it starts
getting low on battery power. Is yours not intended to be used with a
computer and or does your computer simply lose power from the UPS vs.
shutting down before the UPS shuts down?

It's intended to work with a computer and will notify you if there's a
problem so you can close and save your work. But, if you're not there
and there's problem, it will run until the battery gets low and then
it runs the Powerchute program on the computer which saves and shuts
the computer down. After that if the power gets so low that it's
close to a brown out state, it shuts all power off. This is preferable
to actually going into the brown out state which can cause serious
damage to hardware.

Gotcha! Obliviously the one my BIL used would not shut power to the
device when it got low.

So whatever device you have plugged into the UPS, computer, DVD or
otherwise, would be shut down. I was under the impression that
all/most UPS' could/should be able to do that.

Apparently not the older less expensive ones from Cyber Power.

'better' UPSs will only let the battery discharge to about 80% before
shutting down, This is to prevent deep cycling the batteries which helps
extend their life.

I have about a half dozen around the house protecting various things,
Any UPS should have batteries that last years if all you get are short
power 'blips'. Around here, if it isn't just a blip, it usually will
last for about an hour (I guess that means a crew had to be dispatched).
I see a definite correlation with battery replacements being more
frequent on my cheap vs. 'good' UPSs.

-Bruce