Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which screws to use for 2 x 4 construction?

On Friday, November 22, 2013 9:41:25 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 08:39:30 -0800, "Bob F" wrote:

RobertMacy wrote:

Went to add a structure to the studs and need to use screws to

assemble [no real way to pound nails in and pounding would damage

existing structure, so nails are OUT]

I love my cheapo palm nailer for tight jobs. I just had to replace studs

alongside a bathtub, and this tool made it easy to nail the bottoms to the sill.

http://www.harborfreight.com/palm-nailer-60242.html

BUT! vaguely remember some

threads here regarding using readily available 'sheet rock' screws

causing failures in a structure under load.

Thought I should ask the 'experts' here.

Can I use sheetrock screws if they are to be placed only in tension

and never in shear mode? Or, is using sheetrock screws totally

stupid?

Use real wood screws. They need some metal inside of the threads. Look at a

drywal screw carefully - how mush actual metal is in the threaded area. Plus,

they are very brittle.

I once framed some 2x4s with drywall nails. When I lifted the completed

frame, it completely fell apart cuz all the screws broke. Only use them

for drywall.

Deck screws work for your needs, but why do you feel you need screws at

all. People have used nails for centuries. They work fine and are

cheaper too.

I believe the OP mentioned that he was doing some renovation type
work and did not want to make more work by damaging what is already
there, eg drywall, by pounding nails. That's a good reason for
using screws.