Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Bill is offline

Default Security Euro cyclinder

In message , Andy
Burns writes
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Asked to remove a high security euro cylinder today
Instructions claimed it was;
Anti Snap
It wasn't Anti Angle Grinder though :-)

This weekend's task is to change a door+window combo to a patio door,
only problem being I haven't been able to find the keys for the new
door for a fortnight!

I removed an identical euro cylinder from one of the other doors I've
recently fitted and confirmed it had no anti-drill pins, no sacrificial
snap points, obviously I could get access to both sides of the door, so
removed the handles to avoid any damage to them, one pair of mole
grips, 10 seconds of gentle persuasion and a poke with a screwdriver
and that was that ...

To anyone that's got el-cheapo euro locks fitted, don't fool yourself
that they provide *any* real security, a ne'er do well wouldn't give a
toss about damaging the handles to get access to a greater length of
the lock.

I was in a Screwfix a few weeks ago and a girl came in carrying a very
forlorn looking door handle and asking about a new one and eurolock. The
advice she was given by them was what you would expect.

I did get the impression that they weren't too bothered when I directed
her to a proper locksmiths, that I know well, and told her about
sacrificial snapping points and strong chamfered furniture etc.

It didn't help that hubby had been working away for sometime and was due
back that day, she wasn't in the best frame of mind. The likely hood of
the toerags being caught was probably nil.

Maybe longer prison sentences for those that commit the crimes and even
longer ones for those that fit poor locks to new homes would help?

--
Bill