Posted to alt.home.repair
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default Which screws to use for 2 x 4 construction?

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 01:43:03 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

nestork wrote:
DerbyDad03;3153369 Wrote:

My DeWalt cordless has a clip for holding an extra bit. I keep a Star
drive
bit in the clip since just about every screw I use is either a #2
Phillips
or Star drive. I always have a bit available whichever screw type I
grab.

I can't tell for sure from your picture, but I think what you're calling
a "Star" drive is a Torx drive.

No, what I'm calling a "Star" drive is a "Star" drive.

http://tinyurl.com/Star-Drive

http://preview.tinyurl.com/Star-Drive

(Actual link from http://www.lowes.com/ is too long for my newsreader to
accept)

Everyone acknowledges that Torx is just as good a drive as Robertson.

I wonder what they say about Star.

...snip...

What you and Lowes call a "star" drive is in fact a "Torx" drive. Torx
is the trademark name for a type of screw head characterized by a
6-point star-shaped pattern. There are 5-point tamperproof patterns
as well.