Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Wire connection torquing ?

Oren wrote:
On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 17:00:18 -0600, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

The instructor at my last code refresher class talked about
properly torquing wiring connections. He said he went through a
building one time checking the connections. Few or none were torqued
properly.
I'm just curious if any of the pros here actually torque connections.
A quarter turn from breaking the screw is how people in my acquaintance
do it. Me included.

Isn't a pro required to torque lugs on an electrical breaker panel at
initial install of the panel? ISTR reading that.

Then I asked myself, do they use a torque wrench and how much torque
lbs. is required or specified? Is there some document from the panel
manufacturer?

My Crouse-Hinds panel has a label inside the door specifying the torque by
both wire size and by wire way size. It also notes that the user should
check the breakers themselves for the torque specified by the breaker
manufacturer.