Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry W[_3_] Larry W[_3_] is offline

Default To sharpen or to purchase new

In article , Meanie wrote:
I have a few circular saw blades of different manufacturers. There is a
local place who will sharpen them at .35 cents a teeth for carbide and a
straight $10 fee for steel.

Two blades are Delta steel 30 and 60 tooth which would cost $20 for both.

Three are carbide. One a Ridgid 40 tooth ($14 total), Oldham 60 tooth
($21 total) and Irwin 60 tooth ($21 total) for a total cost of $56.

Add that to the $20 the total is $76 complete for 5 blades.

Obviously, that's cheaper than even one new blade of a quality brand
such as Freud, but how long does an average blade last?

What would most of you do? Sharpen or buy new?

Thanks

I wouldn't bother with the steel blades unless they had some special
use that you want. I believe Oldham is no longer a separate company
(bought by B&D/DeWalt IIRC) but I used some of their blades years ago
and they were of pretty good quality. I'm not familiar with Ridgid's
blade quality or Irwins, though I've heard that the Irwins are more
of a utility/construction grade than ww. Why not try the sharpening
service out on just 1 or 2 of them and check the results? I'd suggest
the Oldham and whichever was the best when new between the Ridgid and
the Irwin.

Larry W. - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org