View Single Post
  #13   Report Post  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyDad03 View Post
My DeWalt cordless has a clip for holding an extra bit. I keep a Star drive
bit in the clip since just about every screw I use is either a #2 Phillips
or Star drive. I always have a bit available whichever screw type I grab.
I can't tell for sure from your picture, but I think what you're calling a "Star" drive is a Torx drive.

Everyone acknowledges that Torx is just as good a drive as Robertson.

But, P. L. Robertson, a Canadian, had his drive patented and both the screws and screw drivers in production back in 1909. In it's day, the Robertson drive was hands down the best drive available, and has been for many decades afterwards.

P. L. Robertson wanted Henry Ford to use his screws in the Type A automobile, and Henry figured out that he could save about 7 minutes in the production of each Type A car by switching to the Robertson drive. That's because the Robertson screw could be placed on the screw driver and then driven with one hand. With the slot and Phillips screws, you had to hold the screw with one hand (so it didn't fall off the screw driver) and turn the screw driver with the other hand. Ford really liked the Robertson design and realized those screws could make him more money.

The problem was that Henry didn't want to buy Robertson's screws; he wanted a license from Robertson to produce them in his own factories. Robertson was concerned that he wouldn't know for sure how many such screws Ford was producing and therefore couldn't be sure he was getting paid for all the screws Ford made.

The two men never struck a deal, and the result is that Robertson screws are common throughout all of Canada, but a comparative rarity in the US.

But, Torx screws are becoming progressively more common throughout both the US and Canada. Torx screws allow the operator to apply just as much torque to the screw head as you can with a Roberston drive, which far more than you can with either a Phillips or slot drive. And, Torx has the same advantage as Robertson in that you can put the screw on the driver and it'll stay in place as it's being driven in.

It's too bad Robertson and Ford couldn't strike a deal. Then all Americans would have found out how much better Robertson drive really is. Now, every American is buying Torx screws whenever the opportunity presents itself and no one can blame them. After all, Torx drive is just as good as Robertson.

Last edited by nestork : November 22nd 13 at 11:47 PM