Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On 11/22/13 4:12 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 07:34:14 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico
wrote:

Plenty of information he
http://inspectapedia.com/aluminum/aluminum.htm

The funny thing is that this web site says the aluminum wiring
was used in the 70s, but my home was built in the 80s and it
has aluminum feeder wires.

My house is 1997. Three 220V Al runs. Two ovens and the HVAC. The run
for the AC compressor, I had changed to copper, because the disconnect
box had to be moved (related to drive-by county inspectors when
built).

Reading some of the link Al is still acceptable in heavy gauge wire
but not for branch circuits.

Mobile homes with Al wire branch circuits was a real danger as wires
became loose when the trailer was moved.

Cleaning up the wire and lug, use the gel stuff and you should be good
to go -- I'm not an electrician but I think I have this correct.

There are certain fittings to use with aluminum wire. Add those and
you should be good to go. We use AL wire regularly due to the lengths
we need. Sizes range from #4 to 350 MCM. This is outside where
condensation and dirt can be problems. We seldom have problems with the
terminations.