View Single Post
  #22   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default Cable tracing through a building

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 11:00:38 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

We have a piece of RG6 Quad in one area of a building and we can't seem to find the other end of it. I thought that I knew where it went as I installed all these cables, but it's just not there. I have a small tone generator and an inductive probe that work well on unshielded wire, but attempts at using this on shielded cable have always been a problem. I've been thinking of trying to set my old HP200CD audio oscillator to 1KHZ and really crank it up and feed it into the cable. The 200CD will output a respectable signal across 600 ohms, (naturally I'd be using it unterminated here), and I wonder if I'd be able to pick it up through the cable then?

The only other thing I can think of,(and this is probably not very practical) is to inject a high enough RF frequency into the cable at a level where it would egress. Perhaps I might be able to see this on my spectrum analyzer. Of course I realize that the superior shielding of the quad cable is working against me here too.

I know that there must be equipment designed to do this, but I'm not really in a position to make a purchase like that. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding this cable? Thanks, Lenny

You might try using 10 kHz and exciting both core and shield against
ground. It might work better.

?-)