Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Which screws to use for 2 x 4 construction?

"RobertMacy" wrote in message
newsp.w6yhn2rc2cx0wh@ajm

Are screws simply screws and just go ahead? Is it all
right to use sheetrock screws for a bit of construction?

Wood screws are readily available...McFeeley's has about anything you could
ever want. Even HD/Lowes has a fair amount. Don't know if HD/Lowes carries
square drive wood screws or not but that is way preferable to Phillips.

Besides tending toward brittleness, there are a couple other things about DW
screws that tend to disqualify them. First of all, they are often #7 shank;
for what you are doing I'd want #10, #8 minimally. Secondly is the head
shape; this isn't a biggie but DW screws have a "bugle" head...concave on
the under side. That is great for DW, less so for wood as there is less
bearing surface. As I said, not a biggie especially for soft wood and I
doubt you'll be counter sinking anyway.

--

dadiOH