Posted to alt.home.repair
bud-- bud-- is offline

Default 220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On 11/22/2013 1:34 AM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 09:14:57 -0800, Oren wrote:

Plenty of information he
http://inspectapedia.com/aluminum/aluminum.htm

The funny thing is that this web site says the aluminum wiring
was used in the 70s, but my home was built in the 80s and it
has aluminum feeder wires.

Because of high copper prices, starting about 1965 and going through the
early 1970s aluminum was used for 15 and 20 amp branch circuits. There
were problems with both the wire and devices (switches, receptacles).
There were fires, and as a result there were changes in the UL
standards, twice. The link is about 15 and 20 amp branch circuits. The
recommendations for making connections that are there somewhere, abrade
surface of the wire and apply antioxide paste, are relevant to all
aluminum connections.

Aluminum has been used for higher current circuits before that, and is
often used now. The connections for 15 and 20 amp branch circuits are
much different than for higher current circuits. Aluminum is quite
reliable in the heavier circuits, like what you have.

I suspect the failed lug was not rated for aluminum, or was not
tightened enough.