Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How does the typical mains power connect in the USA anyway?

On Friday, November 22, 2013 4:37:03 AM UTC-5, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 18:03:14 +0100, nestork wrote:

I find the first diagram on this web page that was posted by SRN

helpful:

Here's a PNG of that diagram, for reference:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7292/1...4ba18de1_o.png

In the dryer thread, it was noted that most USA circuit breakers

are *not* arrayed in AB-AB-AB format; but in AA-BB-AA-BB format.

I'm not sure what that means though...

It's referring to where the two legs/phases show up in the panel.
But, I'm not sure what AB means either. You need to define what
the perspective is. Just saying AB is meaningless, because it could
mean A is on the left, B on the right, or it could mean A is above,
B is just below it. In any case, what you have, is the latter.
That is what is shown in your diagram.
Otherwise you would get zero from a double pole breaker instead
of 240V.