Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default How long does it take hazard lights to kill a vehicle's battery?

"willshak" wrote in message
DerbyDad03 wrote:
The vehicle in question is this one:

http://www.halshydraulics.com/sites/...ulldozer03.jpg

Last night I came home from work around 5 PM and noticed that one of the
two Cats they're using for the gas main project in my neighborhood had

its
hazard lights flashing. I tried the crew chief's cell phone, but it's

his
work cell, and I guess he doesn't answer it after hours. I knew from
previous conversations that they are done at 3:30.

Later, around 9:30, when SWMBO and I were walking the dogs, we walked

past
the Cat and I decided to try the door. It wasn't locked, so I climbed in
and turned the hazard lights off. The best I can guess is that they were

on
for about 6 hours.

When I left for work this morning, both Cats were gone, so either they
jumped one with the other or the battery was fine.

Anybody know how long the battery in a Cat like that would last with the
hazard lights on?

If the Cat was parked in the street, it maybe a law in your state to
have the hazard lights on overnight.
If the battery died during the night and someone ran into the Cat, it
would be their fault. If you turned off the lights, it would be your

fault.

Good point but I think DD's already established they were left on by
accident since they were only flashing on one vehicle and they weren't
flashing on previous nights.

--
Bobby G.