Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D'Amico[_2_] Danny D'Amico[_2_] is offline

Default How does the typical mains power connect in the USA anyway?

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 19:14:56 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Gnd and Neutral is connected together but
they are not same in functionality in the circuit.

For some reason, I didn't see this thread, and assumed it hadn't
posted. So I apologize for not having answered any issues.

I've learned a lot.

For example, the ground and the neutral, in my house, are connected
together in the main panel, but not in the sub panels.

I've learned the neutrals are different than grounds in other ways.
For example, they never branch (they always stay with their associated
hot wires). They only meet at the main breaker panel.

The grounds, on the other hand, go all over the place.
Plus, most of the time, they're not insulated (although they may
also be green).