Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default inrush surge

"William Sommerwerck"

Back around 1980 I had to repair a ReVox deck. It kept blowing its fuse --
even though the fuse was the correct value and speed.

I watched the fuse as I turned on the unit. So much current was drawn that
the fuse heated up and bowed, then came back to normal as it cooled. After
a few cycles, the fuse wire grew sufficiently fatigued that it broke.

** That is just what a FAST fuse does when subjected to current surges.

I don't remember how I "solved" this. I might have gone to a slo-blo, or
increased the value slightly.

** Fuses in the AC supply always need to be "slo blo" or "T" types.

There are darn few exceptions to this rule.

BTW

Fuses with a flat metal strip inside are inherently slow and made of tin
not copper too.

..... Phil