Posted to alt.home.repair
Nightcrawler® Nightcrawler® is offline

Default How long does it take hazard lights to kill a vehicle's battery?

"nestork" wrote in message ...

Nightcrawler®;3152562 Wrote:

Not to discount the good Samaritan aspect of what was done, but those
things have two batteries. I believe that they are designed with long
standby while not having the engine running and having full lights
on. Emergency flashers really do not pull that much. The small
batteries
in cars are their primary liability.

I agree with Nightcrawler on this one.

I was in my local battery shop when someone brought in a huge battery;
much larger than a car battery. Just out of interest I asked what it
was out of, and I was told it was from a Caterpiller Grader. They use
those a lot here in Winnipeg for clearing snow. The guy told me that
the grader doesn't just have one of those, but two of them. And, the
reason why they have two batteries is because they're often left at
construction sites overnight in the winter where there's no electricity
available for a block heater. So, they need both batteries to provide
the power needed to start their cold engines in the morning.

In fact, my understanding is that in Northern Ontario, they will often
collect wood and start a fire under the engine of the graders and
bulldozers to warm up the oil in the oil pan in order to start their
engines in the mornings in winter. I've never personally seen that
being done; I just heard that it is done.

--
nestork

Some places up there they never turn off their engines unless they can
get the vehicle/equipment inside.