Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Why do lap joints work?

Swingman wrote:
On 11/21/2013 12:45 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Yep, thinking back, my wife has a classical guitar with a Spanish
cedar top, and it seems to hold up well also.

Recorded quite a few hammered dulcimers in my studio days ...
"sustain" is an understatement with that instrument.

Played an open mic last night at Toby Keith's I Love This Bar in
Syracuse. Two guys came up while I was waiting in the wings to go
on, and asked if I wanted a Bass and Drum back up. I almost said
no, that I was all set to do it solo, and boy am I glad I did not
say that! Turns out the bass player plays with the biggest rock
band in this area, and is a serious long hair. Me - I've hardly got
any damned hair left and this guy's hair is down to his belt. Played a 6
string bass and he knew how to play each one of those 6
strings. He's a rocker and my stuff last night was some old Steve
Goodman stuff, a Travis Van Zandt tune, and an original that was
straight up country. Let me tell you - we rocked the freakin'
joint! One of those great gigs where a few musicians get up and
play together, who have never met, don't know the same music, and
somehow, pull it off big time. Was one of the best times I've had
in a long time. The bass player was glued to my left hand because
he didn't know any of the music, but it didn't take him long to feel
what to add in. Straight up country with some really rockin' bass
can be a killer match. What does this have to do with woodworking and
the availability of
wood for luthiers? Not a damned thing!

But - I did take my Taylor...

It only takes one of those magical musical moments to keep you playing
'til the next time it happens.

Ain't it just the truth! Key-rist, I came home and was still pumped up -
and it's a half hour ride home from the bar. When the magic strikes, it is
just that - magic. Good thing there are substitutes for that time in life
when yer wife gets too old for sex...

--

-Mike-