Posted to alt.home.repair
Wes Groleau Wes Groleau is offline

Default 220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On 11-21-2013, 00:21, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 11-20-2013, 21:12, Nightcrawler® wrote:
"Danny D'Amico" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 11:08:08 -0600, Nightcrawler® wrote:
Stand next to a high tension tower, say one foot away and have the
ground
ring somehow fail for this tower. Take a step. What happens?

I'm not sure what a "ground ring" is, but, I assume you're saying the
tower
loses its grounding. But, the lines are insulated from the tower, so,
I would
think nothing happens - but - again - I'm not sure how it's wired up.

Most likely you would be dead. The static electricity that builds up on

If the resistance through your shoe & sock, up your leg, down your other
leg, and through your other shoe and sock is low enough compared
to that through the earth between your feet, quite likely.

People HAVE died that way, but others have survived. With the right
shoes, and enough moisture in the soil, you might not even feel it.

Clarification. You were apparently talking about lightning hitting a
tower. I was referring to a downed transmission line. People have
occasionally been killed or injured by having one foot closer to the
downed line than the other foot.

As in taking a step towards it.

I'm not volunteering for the experiment.

--
Wes Groleau

Guidelines for judging others:
1. Don't attribute to malice that which
can be adequately explained by stupidity.
2. Don't attribute to stupidity that which
can be adequately explained by ignorance.
3. Don't attribute to ignorance that which
can be adequately explained by misunderstanding.
4. Don't attribute to misunderstanding that which
can be adequately explained by alcohol.