Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default 220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 15:35:41 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 09:23:51 -0600, bud-- wrote:

What I remember is the set screw looked like it rusted.

This is what it looks like:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/98287134@N02/10953807416/

thermal cycling can cause a loose connection.

If it's as simple as a loose connection, once I replace the lug,
it's *still* going to be steel on aluminum, right?

If so, the simple answer seems, to me, to be that I should tighten
the lugs once a year (or so).

Does that seem viable?

I've never done that. I suppose you could inspect the panel though.

Plenty of information he

http://inspectapedia.com/aluminum/aluminum.htm

PDF (see p.4)

http://inspectapedia.com/aluminum/Aluminum_Wire_Hazard_Reduce_2011.pdf