Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default inrush surge

On 21/11/2013 15:32, John-Del wrote:
It's unlikely on a ReVox deck, but some more advanced equipment I've worked on over the years has had multiple relays or SCRs in a timed power up sequence. One RPTV I worked on years ago would occasionally blow fuses on start (but never when running), and it turned out to be a stuck relay (prevented one SMPS from being power up until the first one did).

But although I confess to never having seen one9:35:37 AM UTC-5, William Sommerwerck wrote:
Back around 1980 I had to repair a ReVox deck. It kept blowing its fuse --

even though the fuse was the correct value and speed.

I watched the fuse as I turned on the unit. So much current was drawn that the

fuse heated up and bowed, then came back to normal as it cooled. After a few

cycles, the fuse wire grew sufficiently fatigued that it broke.

I don't remember how I "solved" this. I might have gone to a slo-blo, or

increased the value slightly. Anyhow, it didn't come back.

Thoughts? (Including "You're an idiot!" Well, there were no stories about the

owner's house burning down.)

"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions.."

-- Edwin Land

Add an anti-inrush NTC thermistor made for the purpose, assuming no
actual fault situation .