Posted to alt.home.repair
Nightcrawler® Nightcrawler® is offline

Default How long does it take hazard lights to kill a vehicle's battery?

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
On 11/20/2013 8:17 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
The vehicle in question is this one:

http://www.halshydraulics.com/sites/...ulldozer03.jpg

Last night I came home from work around 5 PM and noticed that one of the
two Cats they're using for the gas main project in my neighborhood had its
hazard lights flashing. I tried the crew chief's cell phone, but it's his
work cell, and I guess he doesn't answer it after hours. I knew from
previous conversations that they are done at 3:30.

Later, around 9:30, when SWMBO and I were walking the dogs, we walked past
the Cat and I decided to try the door. It wasn't locked, so I climbed in
and turned the hazard lights off. The best I can guess is that they were on
for about 6 hours.

When I left for work this morning, both Cats were gone, so either they
jumped one with the other or the battery was fine.

Anybody know how long the battery in a Cat like that would last with the
hazard lights on?

My only experience was one time noticing a car with
the flashers on, about 7 or 8 in the evening. The
next morning, it was stone cold dead. I believe your
kindness saved them a dead battery. And very often
a starting battery completely discharged never comes
back to life truly. So, you may have saved them from
having to replace the battery next week. You are a
good neighbor.

Not to discount the good Samaritan aspect of what was done, but those
things have two batteries. I believe that they are designed with long
standby while not having the engine running and having full lights
on. Emergency flashers really do not pull that much. The small batteries
in cars are their primary liability.