Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 12 volt lithium battery drill/impact driver- recommendations?

On 19 Nov 2013 06:06:39 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

wrote in :

My Makita batteries don't last long at all. I don't use the drills
anymore because I got tired of buying batteries.

There was a bad batch of 18V LiON batteries some time ago. Lots of
complaints on Amazon about it. Mine are about 3 years old and getting
weak, but that's about the lifetime of LiON batteries anyway.

My Makitas are NiCd.

At my PPoE we had some "new" batteries that were three years old
(stock for a widget that was *way* late to market). We grabbed a
bunch of them and did a life test. They were still better than 90%
capacity. It's not time that kills LiIons (so much), rather charge
cycles. Unlike NiCds, they really do have a long shelf life.