Leon

Default Titebond III Does not Perform

"joey" wrote in message
news:U4eIc.56732$MB3.2498@attbi_s04...

Hypothetical yes but for me personally I'd be more interested in knowing
which one has better long term holding power under real repeated exposure

Well yeah...that is reasonable but what do you do in the mean time? You
have to go with the test results available and what Franklyn "actualy uses"
as the definition of Water Proof.

Very subjective term there really is nothing that is water proof given
enough time. Taking it to the extreme rivers erode mountains and waves

erode
coastlines

Yes... so you have to compare the two glues and see which has the most
strength in those type aplications involving water. Common knoledge defines
Water Proof as not being affected by water. From the "get go" the TiteBond
label is misleading to a majority of woodworkers. You and I no longer fall
within that group as we now know that the TiteBonds Water Proof label is not
defined by the common knowledge definition.

The reason that TB3 is called water proof is that it passes shear tests
after the glue was soaked in boiling water on 2 occasions and dried out.
TB2 passes shear test on soakings on 3 occasions and dried out.

Right Type 1 boiled the wood, type 2 soaked the wood (didn't say what

temp),
type 1 also had higher baking temps for a little longer

Which one sounds like the one that would hold up to "normal and common"
exposure to water to you?

Probably either one although the longer open time is attractive.

That's right. You cannot use the common definition of Water Proof to back
up you decision of which one to use.

Need better data to access wether it's really worth the extra money. I'm a
hobbiest so the cost isn't a big deal even if it's a little better I might
switch.

I agree, but so far the TB2 has shown to be better than TB3 in at least one
test. ;~)
The information at Titebonds site certainly does not back up TB3 as being
superior to TB2.

Kind of funny I had reservations about even using it cause I know
what to expect from TB and TB2 sorta like old friends!
If I was in the business and used a lot of glue that would be another
matter. I guess I'll know in 12 years if the stools recently made out

last
the previous ones

Its a tough choice. Consider this. You know how a higher priced same brand
item is usually equated as better. I bet Franklin is betting most people
will equate this the same way also. If the TB3 glue was the same price as
TB2, would you think it was superior to TB2 knowing that it is truely not
water proof? I think we are witnessing a way for Franklin to market a
product with about the same qualities for a higher price.