Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Eyeware For Close Work On Very Small Objects?

mike wrote:

I also have an optical stereo zoom microscope.
Very handy for inspection, but it's very hard to work under.
It's just too close. And mine has an accessory lens that extends
that distance somewhat. Still hard to get tools under it.
And I worry about the smoke from soldering messing up the lens.

The good ones have a "working distance" of 4 to 6 inches,
or even more!
This is a spec that SHOULD be listed, just check that any
particular unit has enough.
Second issue is lighting. Your hands are always in the way.
I solved that problem with a fiber-optic light that surrounds
the lens.

I made a ring of PCB material, cut a groove so there is an inner
and an outer ring, and soldered 8 while LEDs to it, with series
resistors. Works great, hugs real close to the SIDE of the
microscope body, so you don't lose any of that precious working
distance. Runs off a wall-warp power supply. I've made two
of these now for different scopes, I really like them.

Jon