Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default Eyeware For Close Work On Very Small Objects?

On 11/19/2013 12:25 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Being nearsighted, I've been able to slide along on close work until
now.

Just replaced the USB receptacle on my smart phone and was reduced to
using this huge magnifier mounted on a light.

Better than nothing, but clumsy and lacking in depth perception.

My dentist has these binocular-looking things that hang over his regular
glasses.

Anybody have something that works in this respect and which does not
cost an arm and a leg?

Measure your interpupillary distance (hold a ruler up to your face and
look in the mirror; +- 1 mm is good enough). Then go to zenni.com and
order some glasses. I'm slightly farsighted, but my lab glasses are
regular bifocals: +0.75 diopter for reading and computing, and +2.75
diopters for close work. They cost about $30-$40 a pair for nice coated
ones. I usually buy three sets at a time, and it's still less than half
of what Lenscrafters wants.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--