Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Sofa tables revisited

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message

On 11/20/2013 8:01 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Some time ago I posted asking for ideas about some "L"
shaped sofa tables I'm planning to build to wrap around
an "L shaped sectional. I thank all who responded.

It is going to be a while before I get around to
actually building them but I've stolen some moments
from my hectic, what doc do I see today retirement life
to diddle around with SketchUp to figure out what I'm
going to do when I actually DO get around to chopping
wood. For any of you who might be muttering, "WTF is
SketchUp?", here is a jpeg of the tables as they will
be. Someday.
http://www.floridaloghouse.net/dadio..._table_pic.jpg

For those of you who know and love SketchUp and view it
as quite possibly one of the most useful programs ever
written, here is a link to the skp...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net/dadio...able_model.skp

If you do look at the model file I'd be interested in
any comments, negative or positive. I pretty well have
it in my head as to how I intend to build it but ideas
are always welcome. My current vacillation concerns
electrical. The tables sit 4' or so from the nearest
wall and there will be lamps on them; thoughtfully, I
had a floor outlet installed when I built the house but
I'm still not set on how I'm going to pipe power to the
nether regions of the tables. There are four main things in the model
file:

1. all three tables hooked together, not much info as
to how they will be built. The long tables are one
component, the little square one another. 2. a leg and portions of the
top showing the structure

3. a leg and portions of the bottom shelf showing the
structure 4. part of a leg and a height adjuster; I need this
because the tables will be sitting on a Saltillo tile
floor and there is no way all legs will automagically
rest solidly. Each of those items is on a separate layer. There are
also layers for each that contain my notes, comments,
mutterings, etc.; I like to be able to turn off all
that text when I am drawing.

Nice design!

Thanks.

As the drawing indicates the bottoms of the table tops
and bottom shelves are filled in with no hollow space. I
think I would leave that open, don't close in the bottoms
and hide the electrical in that open hollow space.

It is open. The drawing with all three tables together doesn't show that as
it was sort of a "down & dirty" one just so I could get an idea of what it
would look like finished. The deyails are in the other drawings.

And to add to what Swingman said, and concerning the use
of Sketchup..;~)
I see that you have made the main units in to components
but those appear to be only a part of a small number of
components. You absolutely should make each and every
one of the pieces of the project into components
separately. When each and every part is made into a component the
pieces no longer stick together and editing is 1,000
times easier and faster.

I know that and I agree whole heartedly. Knowing and agreeing is one thing,
remembering to do it is another

--

dadiOH