Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Is it a Carport or Garage?

Bill Gill wrote:

Keeping in mind that most people have a 'garage' that is really a
storage room while the car(s) is/are parked in the driveway, sometimes
under a car port.

In my particular case I really believe that a garage is for parking
your car in a protected location. Of course I have a 2 car garage
with one car, and the other side is my work shop.

Bill

There are some that believe that parking a vehicle in a garage in the
winter promotes rust, assuming you live in an area where salt is used.

SWMBO is convinced that the floorboard and hood of our 6 year old Subaru
rusted through because we kept it in the garage. I don't know for sure, but
I won't argue with her. It's the only car that we ever garaged, and it's
the only car that rusted so badly that we had to junk it.

How bad was it? Whenever I installed a car seat for any of my kids, I
always gave it a tug to make sure it was secure. One morning I put the car
seat behind the driver's seat and gave it a tug. The plate that holds the
seatbelt to the floorboard pulled out, leaving a hole in the floor. It
didn't take much of a tug...I imagine that any type of hard braking would
have sent the seat flying.

We got the Subaru district manager involved but Subaru ruled that the
vehicle was out of warranty, rust happens, so tough luck.