Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Why do lap joints work?

On 11/20/2013 8:22 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 11/20/2013 8:06 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

Halving joints are mostly moderate strength and generally
require some type of pinning to stand the test of time.

That would certainly help but some of my toilet seats are more than 25
years
old and doing fine so far

Hell, that's just a half a second in the history of wood joints.

My wooden ones use both finger and half lap joints. Cross grain
"lamination" is not always bad, sez the plywood manufacturer.

The "bottom" line, just finish it real well.

Finish it real well! Heck just let the natural oils and fluids seal the
wood!

I guess you would call that the "Out House" finish.