Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Why do lap joints work?

"Swingman" wrote in message

On 11/20/2013 6:05 AM, dadiOH wrote:
I used to make lots of them. Now, less because I
have more tools but I still do on occasion and I wonder
why they work? We all know that wood expands and
contracts and lap joints have to pieces of wood doing
that at right angles to each other yet they remain nice
and solid. How come? Someone might say it is because each piece is
narrow
and doesn't move much. That is true but I've often made
fairly wide laps. For example, all our toilet seats
are wood, each made with four pieces about 3" wide
lapped at the corners. Discussion is invited.

What are you calling a "lap joint"?

What many call lap joints these days are traditionally
called "halving joints", most common being what is
traditionally known as a "half lap" joint.

Yeah, those.

Halving joints are mostly moderate strength and generally
require some type of pinning to stand the test of time.

That would certainly help but some of my toilet seats are more than 25 years
old and doing fine so far

--

dadiOH