Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] mroberds@att.net is offline

Default Cable tracing through a building

wrote:
We have a piece of RG6 Quad in one area of a building and we can't
seem to find the other end of it. I thought that I knew where it went
as I installed all these cables, but it's just not there.

Don't discount the possibility that somebody cut it short and shoved
the end back into the wall, or up above the suspended ceiling, or
whatever. If they shoved it back in the wall and that wall has since
been painted or otherwise remodeled, there might not even be a hole in
the wall anymore.

I have a small tone generator and an inductive probe that work well on
unshielded wire, but attempts at using this on shielded cable have
always been a problem.

Try putting the -/black lead of the tone generator to earth ground (like
powerline ground at an outlet) and the +/red lead to the *shield* of the
RG6. Then use the inductive probe like normal.

Matt Roberds