Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Heatmor outdoor boiler

wrote:
On Sunday, January 24, 2010 11:46:33 AM UTC-6, FBWNDR wrote:
I'm trying to determine the pros and cons of having a wood boiler
installed on my property. If you haven't heard of these, the boiler
is built to circulate water around the firebox. The water gets
pumped into a heat exchanger which is located in the main heating
duct of the house. The existing indoor furnace pushes the air
around the house.

Anyway, I'm looking at a Heatmor boiler, and I'm now looking for
people who have experience with these. The website says that the
boiler has a forced draft fan (75 cfm). It also says that the boiler
can heat a 3000 square foot house. I know a little about combustion,
and I calculated that with 75 cfm, you cannot burn more than 10 lbs
of wood an hour. And if the wood is 45% moisture, then the
available BTU is around 40,000 BTU. A 40,000 BTU furnace is very
small for a 3000 square foot house.

So, has anybody dealt with these Heatmor furnces? Can you tell me
anything about performance and maintenance?

thanks,
FB

We have used a heatmor for years--low maintenance--add wood in
morning and at night. We have a big drafty farm house and it keeps
it much warmer than our propane furnace. I don't know square footage
or BTU's--but I love the heat from this furnace--has definitely paid
off for us--as long as you don't mind cutting and splitting alot of
wood! We have had minimal repairs--patched the bladder, replaced a
switch and now a water pump after 8 years of use. No smoke in the
house--much safer than the wood burning furnace we had in the
basement prior to that.

Interestingly, I read awhile back that they are illegal in Washington State.