Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D'Amico[_2_] Danny D'Amico[_2_] is offline

Default 220V dryer sparked on startup (3 wire) What to test?

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 19:31:49 -0500, Ralph Mowery wrote:

It was hard to tell from your pix but it looks like the red and black wire
go to a 240 volt breaker. One goes to one of the hot wires and the other
goes to the other so you have 240 volts across them, the white is the neutal
an the bare is the ground.

You are correct. I followed the romex? from the hole in the wall to the
circuit breaker, and, that white romex appears to feed the 240V outlet
in the garage that you can see on the right side in this pictu
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3816/1...c5ff74c3_o.gif

The funny thing is that there are *four* wires in that Romex? cable, but,
we already determined this style of socket only has *three* connections.

Working backward, that romex? appears to come up the bottom right
rectangular hole in the panel as shown he
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3785/1...9c18389a_o.gif

And, then, it seems to connect to the 30A 220V breaker at the bottom
left, top breaker:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3713/1...698c037a_o.gif

I'm not sure *why* we would want to know which leg is black and which
leg is red but I have nothing against identifying which is which.

The only thing I don't understand is where the fourth wire goes in
that Romex? cable because we already ascertained there are only two
hots and a "grounded neutral" in the outlet on the wall.